3.7.09

The Life of a Money Sorter

Bowler Hat Dude

“I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.” ~ Jackie Mason

Let me tell you about my routine and boring pet project. Okay, so blogging and massage can be tough and consuming, those two are nowhere near this side job in terms of monotonous labor: Sorting money.

Sorting money goes like this:

  1. Go to the Timekeeper’s room and pick a sack, any sack, none holds surprises; it’s all just money. (2 seconds)
  2. Spill the entire sack on the floor, and separate money from envelopes. Put away envelopes. (2 hours)
  3. Split banknotes into groups of the same value. (30 minutes)
  4. Dampen notes with fabric softener. (10 minutes)
  5. Break back and sort. (8-10 hours)
  6. Count and bundle into 100-sheet booklets. (4 hours)

Estimated total time spent on sorting money: 18 hours on every sack. I usually spend the average of an hour a day on one of the stages of money sorting. Anything more than that, my back would hurt, my butt would numb, and the fumes would make me dizzy.

The reason why I’m telling you this is that, hey man, that’s the life of an unemployed to you. The only difference to the employed is that I don’t have the entitlement to say that I work under “a prestigious establishment”, or “earn a salary”, or “impress you with my snobby job title”.

Whether you have a job or not, how you spend your time can either be laboriously monotonous, or fulfilling and meaningful. I believe that the time some of us spend on what seems to be mundane and ordinary, actually just improved someone else’s life by a bit or a lot.

Because, whatever is your religion, work is an act of worship, you see? Don’t waste your good karma by bitching about it.

One Hundred Books in A Year: 17 Lessons Learned

Pexel 1.      Readers will read. Regardless to format or income or legality.   2.      Something to remember: The Prophet was illit...