13.1.10

Warming Up

This isn’t an actual post. I’ll be very brief.

I’m on to something hot. This article made me think in all the wrong directions about how to start, run and pass a suffragette campaign in Saudi.

Let’s be clear about one thing: Trying to run a ANY social reformation campaign in Saudi is stupid.

Women in Saudi cannot have equal rights as men. At least until the oil runs out. And let’s hope that it doesn’t run out soon, because the population of Saudi Arabia is…

Wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. Hang on a bit while I try to make it look right and understandable (to me first - haha).

While I’m at it, chew on this. In the 80s, most of the countries in the world accepted female votes in their elections – save for some Muslim countries. Since 2005, only TWO countries in the whole wide world do not allow women voting by law: the Vatican City (for papal conclaves) and Saudi Arabia. My question then, why is Saudi culture so comfortable with the profound power imbalance? Why is this particular country so stuck in the late 19th century?

Your feedback would be awesome. Thanks, and have a lovely day.

One Hundred Books in A Year: 17 Lessons Learned

Pexel 1.      Readers will read. Regardless to format or income or legality.   2.      Something to remember: The Prophet was illit...