6.10.10

Synchronicity

“Coincidence is the word we use when we can't see the levers and pulleys.” ~ Emma Bull

Variables

Other than the fact that she's a Saudi studying in the US, and that she's the only one who agreed to hangout as early as 8 am in Jeddah, I didn't know what to expect from seeing her.  I only knew that birds of the same feather sought each other.

And over breakfast, these were the facts: That she's a scientist, she critical and restless and wanted to create positive change in Saudi. She was in a place where she wasn't sure what her mission was. She mentioned wanting to start a center to help women who are stuck in domestic violence.

And she said, in passing, that she wanted to write a novel. (Which reminded me of my own NaNoWriMo project from last year.)

Formula

Things need to settle and ferment and finish to be better understood.

When I got home (stuffed and cheesecake-happy), I remembered that NaNoWriMo was due in a couple of weeks, and that it might help my new friend to finish her own novel.

But I shivered. That NaNoWriMo project from last year! That novel I wrote last year!

It was about a Saudi woman who defied the rules, and started a center for socially rejected women, focused on helping victims of domestic violence. The heroine's name was Hala.

Fuck, that damn novel's working title was Hala!

The girl who had breakfast with me this morning was no stranger. She was a character from my own novel.

One Hundred Books in A Year: 17 Lessons Learned

Pexel 1.      Readers will read. Regardless to format or income or legality.   2.      Something to remember: The Prophet was illit...